Reducing the production cycle time
Leading manufacturer of customised precision parts
- Complex production process comprising multiple process steps across various pieces of equipment.
- Product quality is made by the first process step, but can only be determined at the last.
- This feedback cycle (i.e., the production cycle) needs to be quicker to prevent production losses.
Reduce the production time by 50% from 4 to 2 weeks.
The company is highly skilled in Six Sigma, which had already helped them to reduce the cycle time from 11 to 4 weeks. However, the traditional Six Sigma suite of tools could not help them any further.
- The first action was to analyse the production with process mining: Huge variations in takt times between workstations were uncovered.
- Workstations were recombined to rebalance the takt times: A consequence was that the heartbeat of the subcontractor’s process had to be synchronised.
- Further, the available time for preventive maintenance increased.
50% reduction in production cycle time, from 4 weeks to 2 weeks.
More time for preventive maintenance.
Reduced risk profile as the feedback cycle was reduced